2 min read

S5000 takes flight at Phillip Island

PHOTO: Daniel Kalisz

The final day of the first round of the 2021 Shannons Motorsport Australia Championship saw a dramatic final S5000 race for the weekend where Nathan Herne ended up making contact with Thomas Randle and launched into the air. The car landed on all four wheels and Herne was taken to the circuit medical centre for a checkup after climbing out of the car under his own steam.

When the race was restarted it was an 8 lap dash to the green flag with Randle coming under pressure while trying to keep control of his damaged S5000 from the earlier incident. He managed to hold off all the contenders until Lap 6 when Mawson got past, quickly followed by Tim Macro and James Golding as the chequered flag was readied. Mawson would eventually take out the top step with James Golding 1.4 seconds behind him and Tim Macrow a further 1.4 seconds behind that.

The Fanatec GT World Challenge was a clean sweep for Yasser Shahin and Garth Tander.

The #777 The Bend Motorsport Park Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo pair doubled up after yesterday’s Race 1 victory fighting through to emerge victorious in Race 2.

Shahin put a late pass on the #4 Grove Motorsport Porsche 911 GT3 R of Stephen Grove, who shares the car with Brenton, to take out Sunday’s 60-minute race by three seconds over the father-and-son Grove combination.

Third place went the way of Tony Bates and Chaz Mostert in the No. 24 Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo.

Fourth was the Jamie Whincup/Prince Jefri Ibrahim Triple Eight Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo and Brett Hobson completed the podium in his Nissan GTR NISMO GT3 and was the best of the Trophy runners.

The National Trans Am series managed to grab 3 different winners across the weekend with Aaron Seton claiming the round win. Nathan Herne sits atop the series ladder just 2 points ahead.

The second race was scheduled for Saturday but ran on Sunday due to the poor weather. The star of the weekend had to have been Owen Kelly who drove from the back of the field to eventually finish 5th place in the last race of the weekend.

It was an Audi 1-2 for Race 2 at Phillip Island in the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series. Mostert and King were in a tussle all race-long with a pass that was set-up at Turn 1 and completed at Honda sealing the win for him. With Mostert hoping for a clean sweep of the weekend, Race 3 was to prove his undoing when, while in the lead by 2.3 seconds, his front-right tyre decided it wanted to go sight seeing instead and he finished up 18th. Tony D’Alberto came in second with Nathan Morcom finishing in 3rd in his Hyundai i30N.


Press ESC to close.

All copyright reserved by Turn 7 Media. Behind the Sport and #becausewelovemotorsport are registered trademarks of Turn 7 Media

You've successfully subscribed to Behind the Sport
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to Behind the Sport
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Billing info update failed.
Your link has expired.